Wednesday, 30 December 2009

Hibernating

The later part of December has been mainly spent at home.
This year I had decided not to make any special effort for the holiday and not to buy any Christmas gifts.
Certain people received gifts from me from items I already owned which I decided to pass on. Mostly they were wrapped in paper recycled from last year.
The Wednesday before Winter Solstice I had noticed the 5 day forecast for some very freezing and icy conditions and snow. So I went out in the rain to post my Christmas cards, and take my recycling to the recycling point on Beaconsfield Sreeet.
The next day, the snow and ice began.
Each morning I got up early, opened the curtains and saw ice and snow.
The Winter Solstice went by and still I could not get out the house for the snow and ice.
Jeff bought cat litter to spread on the steps, as no grit or rock salt was available.
I went to my hospital appointment at the RVI on Tuesday 22nd, in a taxi, and had a walk through the hospital corridors to the letterbox to post some last minute cards. the most walking I had done for days.
The following Wednesday the snow was totally compacted and no gritting had been done anywhere locally, so I had someone collect me to go to the Time Exchange Festive Meal.
Vegetarians were offered Shepherd's Pie and Veggies.
Christmas Day and Boxing Day were spent at home with Jeff, as the roads were too bad to go anywhere, and the pavements completely iced over.
In the last few days the weather has got a little milder and the rain has melted some of the snow and ice.
However the forecast is for more snow, sleet and ice with well below freezing temperatures at night.
My neighbour has been providing me with some interesting scientific papers to proof read and in return I am getting lots of complicated vegan dishes made from "A Vegan Taste of the Middle East" by Linda Majzlik and some shopping done.

No comments:

herbwormwoodsblog.wordpress.com Please visit there for latest news from Herbwormwood