Wednesday, 9 June 2010

Vegan Cholesterol

During a visit to the Lupus clinic a few months ago I was told my cholesterol level was 5.
Apparently this is sort of average or even good but considering I have other risk factors for heart disease and stroke, it is not very good at all.
After some time I eventually managed to bet a fasting lipid analysis done at my GP practice, it came back at 5.5. The Lupus consultant told me the "good cholesterol" level was not high enough to reduce the "bad cholesterol" levels. However it is not related to the diet. As a long time vegan and having been a vegetarian all my adult life, I was very surprised to find my cholesterol level was not ok.
So now I am now looking at changing my diet to avoid things which could increase the cholesterol. I already eat soya products and lots of beans, but I am going to have more oatmeal.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I just came across your blog and I like your blog name! Have you ever grown wormwood? I am trying right now with no success. I am following your blog now. Check mine out and follow too if you like it :)

elilaiann.blogspot.com

herbwormwoodsblog.wordpress.com Please visit there for latest news from Herbwormwood