Saturday, 5 November 2011

On returning from Segaki Retreat

I felt really tired after returning from my week away due to not getting the large quantity of sleep I usually need, and all the emotional hard work of a week of intensive meditation. However I did feel much less stressed and in fact almost relaxed, but pretty soon after returning that went Pop!
My "retreat bubble got burst!
I had an appointment at the Royal Victoria Infirmary INR clinic on the Monday after I returned (stress index begins to climb) and on my way home I met our Estate Caretaker and stopped to ask him if he had any News.
First bit of News is we now have Emmanuel Spence contracted to replace the broken bits of gutter.
I have actually seen the workers from Emmanuel Spence using a powered platform to replace the broken gutter.
They have been contracted to replace the bits which fell down last winter and join it up with the remaining gutter and down pipes.
Hopefully it will do the trick but we will see what happens when it rains next.
The caretaker also told me that while he was taking one of the communal bins out of the bin sheds for the refuse collectors on Bin Day, a rat jumped out of the bin right there in front of him.
A number of fellow tenants have complained to me about the large quantity of large brown rats running about around the car park, bin shed area and children's playground.
So I decided to make a phone call.
Initially I wanted to speak to the local Housing Officer but he was not available.
The person on the landlord's helpline asked me if I had been in touch with the local council, so that was my next call, to Envirocall.
I explained to the operator that we were concerned about the large numbers of rats and that the landlord was just telling us to ensure to always put the rubbish in the bins, but this would not stop the rats visiting because the bins were out of date (I will post pictures later) and kept in sheds with open shutes and often the bins were left outside for a number of days over public holidays when Bin Day conflicted with days he caretaker was on holiday.
So I was told this was a matter for Public Health and Public Health would be looking in to it.
Later I got a call from the Housing Officer who told me that he had checked with the caretaker and in fact the tenants were leaving the doors to the shutes open!
This is absolutely ridiculous because I have tried to shut them and it is impossible, they are so old I think they must have rusted into the open position.
Also that when they get the new gardening contract the bushes around the bin sheds will be trimmed back so the rats cannot hide in them!
I pointed out that in fact it is the food in the open bins which is attracting the rats, not the bushes!
A person who I think was called June Alexander called me from Public Health, she wanted to clarify exactly what the situation was.

No comments:

herbwormwoodsblog.wordpress.com Please visit there for latest news from Herbwormwood