Saturday, 7 June 2014

Caravan Food (Sunflower and Lentil Pie)


When on holiday in self catering accomodation I don't like to cook much. I find being away from my own kitchen difficult because I have a lot of gadgets and easy-use cookware that make life easier in my own kitchen.
So I decided to bring a pie which I had made at home with my helper, and frozen.
Its a variation on Sunflower Seed and Lentil Pie, recipes for which are easily found with a search engine.
The lentils, oats and sunflowers are all good protein sources.

Ingredients.

• 3/4 cup brown lentils (formerly known as puy lentils)
• 1.5 cup red or brown onions (diced)
• 1 cup oats
• 1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
• 1/2 cup celery (chopped similar size to the onion)
• 1 garlic clove (minced)
• 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
• 2 tbsp soya sauce
• 1 tbsp cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp almonds




Directions.
• Boil 3/4 cup of lentils in plenty of of water until soft but not mushy.
• Leave to cool.
• Blend the lentils in a blender or mash them well with a potato masher, • Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and heap into a lightly oiled pie plate, press down lightly.
• Decorate the top with more sunflower seed and almonds.
• Cook for 27-30 minutes at 375.
• Leave to cool then cut into slices.

It can be served cold or warmed in the microwave.

For caravan cuisine, this pie goes well with instant mashed potato such as Smash and some tinned veg such as peas or carrots.



Contrary to some reports on the net this potato product does not taste horrible.
I find it completely delicious and great comfort food.

No comments:

herbwormwoodsblog.wordpress.com Please visit there for latest news from Herbwormwood